SI Southern Districts of Adelaide Inc
Flinders University: Our club provides an annual prize of $1,000 for a High Achieving Female Science/Engineering Graduate to assist with her postgraduate studies.
Adelaide University: With other local Soroptimist clubs we provide prize money for two female students at Adelaide University, one for Biotechnology and the other for Gender Studies.
Literacy: We support literacy programs like Little Big Book Club for young children as the importance of being able to read cannot be underestimated.
● Cora Barclay Centre – providing assistance to enable suitable books, games and puzzles for the children.
● The Southern Domestic Violence Unit – purchasing phone cards and gift cards for the women at the centre.
● Hutt Street Centre – providing home starter kits for couples moving from the street into housing.
● Angel Flights – assistance for the transport of patients and career from country areas to the city for treatment.
acso awards 2017: Premier's Community Service Team
FLINDERS PRIZE WINNER 2018: LAUREN COMMON
SI Southern Districts News
targetted groups for our projects in 2018
- Homelessness for women over 50 years.
- Crisis Care packs for young children arriving at Domestic Violence Units.
- Days for Girls - Aim to improve access to feminine hygienic solutions and education.
- OARS - providing care packs for women leaving prison.
- Scholarships for young women at Flinders and Adelaide Universities.
FAshion Parade was a huge success
We are pleased to report that the Fashion Parade we staged in mid-September was a huge success.
As in recent years, Glenelg Golf Club provided a beautiful backdrop as more than 100 women enjoyed a Devonshire tea, fashion show and some shopping.
Our President, Barbara Francis gave a brief summary of our projects for 2018. She also explained how the Fashion Parade would contribute direct support for women emerging from prison to start a new life. These women will be recipients of handbags containing personal and self-care items considered as basic necessities as well as some small touches of luxury.
This Fashion Parade was one of many that SI Southern Districts of Adelaide has hosted over the last decade. Our photograph below shows one of the original organisers of the Fashion Parade, Pat Overall (R), drawing tickets for the raffle prizes. On the left is 2018 SI SDA President, Barbara Francis.
FAREWELL LIZ WEBBER
At our January meeting, our club farewelled Liz Webber.
Liz Webber with Janet Brand, 2017 President of SISDA
This year will make 28 years of Liz's service to Soroptimism. She was a Charter Member of SI Fleurieu, holding positions of President and Secretary. When that club disbanded in 1998, Liz joined SISDA where she was an active member in fund-raising and a long term member of the Executive Committee in roles of Secretary and UN Program Liaison Officer. She continues to attend and support our events but her positive input and friendship will be missed at our meetings.